Thursday, February 20, 2014

Immoral Essays by Bram Stoker


I've been slowly reading my way through The Lost Journal of Bram Stoker: The Dublin Years, when I started laughing. One entry, written (I guess) sometime in 1877, reveals a playful imagination in young Stoker, which reminded me of Oscar Wilde. The notes, however, say that "Stoker appears to be imitating Leitch Ritchie, who in Friendship's Offering (1844), plays with a similar set of juxtaposed virtues and vices."

The entry is a simple list of essay titles that Stoker refers back to throughout his journal. They are as follows:

'Immoral Essays'
I. A Defence of Hypocrisy  
II. A Plea for Cannibalism 
III. The Pleasure and Profit of being in debt 
IV. A Word for Liars 
V. The Advantage of Gluttony 
VI. Envy Calmly Considered 
VII. The Virtue of Revenge 
VIII. The Vice of Cleanliness
I really do wish he got around to writing some of these essays. If they inspire any of my readers, please feel free to share your immoral essays here!

Follow me on Twitter @TinyApplePress and like the Facebook page for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment