Sunday, January 12, 2014

Just thinking about dresses...


This du Maurier cartoon from late-1870s Punch, strongly echoes my experience of wearing a corset for a historical reenactment. This is what such a dress looked like in the 1890s.


The fact that women wore them, in spite of what seemed like obvious problems, makes me think of many debates that exist today. Beautiful fashions, to me, seem much more difficult to wrestle with internally. I would love to wear a dress like that, but I wouldn't much enjoy not being able to sit for a whole evening. I would vert much like to look like I've lost a few pounds off my waistline, but I wouldn't much like to trade my ability to breath for it.

Would you?

Follow me on Twitter @TinyApplePress and like the Facebook page for updates!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your interesting blog! I wear those dresses a lot and even with bustle and corset one can sit, breath, run, dance, eat, ... normally. If you had problems with your corset it probably didn't fit.

    ReplyDelete